Safety is extremely important and whether it is you and your children, a friend or family member that is experiencing violence it may be helpful to develop a safety plan in advance to avoid serious injury and to escape the violence either now or in the future.
Some things to consider may be:
- Knowing the easiest escape routes from the house
- Plan where you will go in advance (friend, family, refuge etc.)
- Have the 24 hour Domestic Violence Line number (1800 656 463) memorised or in a place that is easy for you to access
- Call the police as soon as itís safe to report the incident
- Keep a small amount of money (taxi, bus, phone calls etc.), key cards, house keys, essential medications and important papers together in a safe place where you or a trusted friend can retrieve them quickly
Some important papers may consist of:
- Birth Certificates
- Marriage Certificates
- Family Court Orders
- Passports (for you and your children)
- Drivers Licence
- Medicare/Centrelink cards
- Bank Account numbers/bank statements/credit cards
Only tell friends or family members who you are sure you can trust about your plans.